This should be called kitchen sink lo mein because it literally uses whatever veggies you have on hand and a box of spaghetti. Sub whatever veggie you like, in any amount because this sauce is killer and brings everything together. Forget take out, create your own restaurant lo mein at home! Enjoy!
1 (16 oz.) box of Spaghetti
1 lb. chicken breasts, thinly sliced then cut into strips
1 Cup of carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 Cup mushrooms, sliced
1 Cup snap peas, roughly chopped
1 Cup red peppers, sliced
1/2 Cup chicken broth
Ingredients for Lo Mein sauce:
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
4 1/2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sriracha
1/2 Cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 Cup chicken broth
- Make the lo mein sauce: add all ingredients to a mason jar and shake, set aside.
- Take out the thinly sliced chicken breasts and slice into julienne strips
3. Season chicken strips with salt and pepper. Saute chicken in a saucepan on medium high heat, making sure to brown some of the sides. When chicken is cooked through remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add 2 more Tablespoons of oil to the saucepan and add the veggies. Season veggies with salt + pepper. Add 1/2 Cup chicken broth and cook veggies until most of the liquid is gone and veggies are softened.
5. While veggies are sauteing cook your pasta according to package directions for al dente (it’s important to cook to al dente to give the pasta more time to cook in the lo mein sauce and drink it all up).
6. When veggies are soft add the chicken back in, stir. Add the lo mein sauce and turn the heat to low. When pasta is al dente drain and drump into the saucepan with the veggies and sauce. Turn the heat to medium and continuously turn the spaghetti noodles so they all get a chance to drink up the sauce-around 5 minutes.
7. When the pasta has soaked up all the sauce it’s time to serve. *optional-serve with sliced green onion over the top