2 lbs ground turkey
6 medium zucchinis
1 jar marinara sauce
2 T Olive oil
1 C Ricotta
salt & pepper
- Add 2 T olive oil to a pan and add the ground turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the turkey through and make sure to brown it (giving it more flavor). Use a spatula and break up the turkey into small pieces.
- Add 1 jar of marinara (or whatever pasta sauce you have) to the browned turkey and stir to incorporate. Turn heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the moisture is cooked out of the mixture.
3. Turn the oven on to 375. While the turkey mixture is simmering prepare the zucchini boats. Cut the zucchinis lengthwise and with a spoon carve out the inside. Put the inside flesh aside.
* The inside of the zucchinis will not be used in this recipe because it creates a watered down sauce. However, our pups love vegetable scraps like this! Feel free to give them a tasty treat or add to their food…
4. Rub the zucchini boats with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a tray, giving each enough room to cook.
5. After 30 minutes pull the zucchinis from the oven and allow to slightly cool before spooning the turkey mixture into each boat.
6. Serve immediately with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper (and red pepper flakes if you like some heat). *Pairing suggestion: Simple pasta tossed with salt, butter and parsley.